Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Liberty by Lynn Curlee

Curlee, A. (2000). Liberty. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.

Summary:
This is the story of the birth of the Statue of Liberty. The text describes the dinner party in France where the idea was conceived and the man who could not get the idea out of his head for years after the party. The book describes the process of raising money, building many models of the statue, and the trouble that went into reproducing the models on a much larger scale. It tells the reader about building the statue, transporting it to America, and also describes the restorations that it has undergone throughout the years. The book has wonderful illustrations, including cross-sections that allow the reader to look inside the statue,

Ages:
3rd through 6th grade

Credibility of Author:
This book won the Orbis Pictus award in 2001. Lynn Curlee included a list of books that he used to research before writing his book.

National Standards that this book relates to:
The Social Studies standards addressed are Power, Authority, Governance, People, Places, Environment, and Culture.

Access Features:
There is a table of specifications and costs of the statue and a timeline starting with the idea of Liberty and ending with the 1986 restoration. It also has a bibliography.

Description of the Illustrations:
Lynn Curlee also illustrated the book. He used acrylic paintings that were reproduced in full from photographic transparencies. (the photographs of the paintings were taken by Ed Peterson)

My response to the book:
I enjoyed reading this book and found it very interesting. I had never read anything about the construction of the statue of liberty, so it was all new information to me.

How I would use this book in my class:
I would probably read this book to my class on Constitution Day, when we discuss the freedoms that we have and why we have them.

2 comments:

I love nonfiction said...

When I read your annotation,it made me think of Leonardo's Horse because of the way both structures were made, I think.

Teacher said...

I would love to read this book. I have been to the Statue of Liberty and toured it. It is truly amazing. I remember reading about the building of the Statue of Liberty while there, but I can not say that I remember too much about it. I believe this book would allow me to recall what I read and saw while there.