Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Galaxies, Galaxies! by Gail Gibbons

Gibbons, G. (2007). Galaxies, galaxies!. New York, NY: Holiday House.

Summary:
This book describes things related to the solar system. It talks about the Milky Way, telescopes, astronomers, light years, and various types of galaxies. The text is easy to read and will easily be understood by young readers

Ages:
2nd through 4th grade

Credibility of Author:
Gail Gibbons is a well-known non-fiction author. When writing this book, she was assisted by a professor of astronomy from St. Michael’s College in Vermont.

National Standards that this book relates to:
The standards that are met by this book are science as inquiry and space science.
Access Features:
There is a page in the back that describes a little more about galaxies.

Description of the Illustrations:
I was not able to find what the illustrations were created with, but the are amazing. There is so much detail put into each drawing!

Awards:
This book was just published this year, so be on the look out for its awards next year!

Related Texts:
Planet Earth Inside and Out by Gail Gibbons
Galaxies by Seymour Simon
Buzz Aldrin: Reaching for the Stars by Buzz Aldrin

My response to the book:
This book does a great job describing things that are in outer space. I enjoyed learning about the different types of galaxies and various astronomers.

How I would use this book in my class:
We will definitely be using this book when we study space and the solar system.

2 comments:

Debbie Vanderford said...

Hello Brooke,

In my opinion, one can never have too many books about the solar system. My students will read every book that I make available to them pertaining to the solar system. This sounds like a good book for my students who are not on a 4th grade independent reading level.

Jennifer said...

This sounds like a great book to add to my collection on the solar system. I use a problem-based unit that I created with my 4th grade students each year. This book sounds like one that I could used to help them understand a lot of what we will be studying!